Gabriela Appel, Ph.D.
Gabriela Appel is the Associate Director of CALPER and a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Applied Linguistics and German at Penn State. Gabriela Appel came to Penn State in 1991 after having taught at the University of Kassel (Germany) in an innovative M.A. program in Applied Text Sciences and at Cornell University in the Department of Modern Languages. Her academic interests are in the areas of Project-based Learning, Second Language Literacy, Vocabulary Learning and Teaching, Language Assessment and Evaluation, and Corpus-based Language Analysis . She was Associate Editor (News and Notes for the Profession) of The Modern Language Journal from 2000-2015.
- Appel, G. (2003). "13 Jahre Deutsche Vereinigung: A sample project for advanced learners of German". (CALPER Pedagogical Materials: Project Work, No. 2). University Park, PA: The Pennsylvania State University, Center for Advanced Language Proficiency Education and Research.
- Appel, G. (2003). "El portfolio de Lenguas Europeas". In S. M. Salaberri (Ed.), La lengua, vehículo cultural multidisciplinar (pp. 121-130). Madrid: Ministerio de Educación.
- Salaberri, S. M., & Appel, G. (2003). Assessment and diversity: Development of personal identities through portfolios. In M. J. Raya & T. Lamb. (Eds.), Differentiation in the Modern Languages Classroom (pp. 211-229). Frankfurt a.M.: Peter Lang.
- Appel, G., & Lantolf, J. P. (1994). "Speaking as mediation: A study of L1 and L2 text recall tasks." The Modern Language Journal 78: 437-452.
- Lantolf, J. P., & Appel, G. (Eds.).(1994). Vygotskian approaches to second language research. Norwood NJ: Ablex.
- Appel, G., & Dechert, H. W. (Eds.).(1991). A case for psycholinguistics cases. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.