The Center for Advanced Language Proficiency Education and Research (CALPER) is one of a small number of Title VI Language Resource Centers funded by the U.S. Department of Education. Established through its first grant award in 2002, CALPER has focused on supporting language education through:
- Developing innovative teaching materials
- Expanding language learning assessment procedures
- Conducting critical research to inform teaching practice
- Creating extensive online professional development resources
- Offering intensive institutes and workshops for language educators
CALPER recently received a new award from the U.S. Department of Education, extending the center's operation with support from the College of the Liberal Arts and The Pennsylvania State University.