Center for Advanced Language Proficiency Education and Research
The Pennsylvania State University
305 Sparks Building
University Park, PA 16802-5203
Phone: (814) 863-3360
Fax: (814) 865-1316
Gabriela Appel (Ph.D., Delaware, 1986), Associate Director of CALPER, is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Applied Linguistics and an Affiliate of the Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures at the Pennsylvania State University. She holds a Staatsexamen fuer das Lehramt (magna cum laude) in Foreign Language Education from the University of Kassel (Germany) and a doctoral degree in Linguistics from the University of Delaware. Gabriela Appel came to Penn State in 1991 after having taught at the University of Kassel in an innovative M.A. program in Applied Text Sciences and at Cornell University in the Department of Modern Languages. Her academic interests are in the areas of Project-based Learning, Second Language Literacy, Vocabulary Learning and Teaching, Language Assessment and Evaluation, and Corpus-based Language Analysis . She has been Associate Editor (News and Notes for the Profession) of The Modern Language Journal since 2001.
Project 2010-2014: Graphic Online Language Diagnostic
Project 2002-2010: Project-based Learning and Advanced Proficiency
- Appel, G. (2003). "13 Jahre Deutsche Vereinigung: A sample project for advanced learners of German". (CALPER Pedagogical Materials: Project Work, No. 2). University Park, PA: The Pennsylvania State University, Center for Advanced Language Proficiency Education and Research. CALPER DOWNLOAD
- Appel, G. (2003). "El portfolio de Lenguas Europeas". In S. M. Salaberri (Ed.), La lengua, vehículo cultural multidisciplinar (pp. 121-130). Madrid: Ministerio de Educación.
- Salaberri, S. M., & Appel, G. (2003). Assessment and diversity: Development of personal identities through portfolios. In M. J. Raya & T. Lamb. (Eds.), Differentiation in the Modern Languages Classroom (pp. 211-229). Frankfurt a.M.: Peter Lang.
- Appel, G., & Lantolf, J. P. (1994). "Speaking as mediation: A study of L1 and L2 text recall tasks." The Modern Language Journal 78: 437-452.
- Lantolf, J. P., & Appel, G. (Eds.).(1994). Vygotskian approaches to second language research. Norwood NJ: Ablex.
- Appel, G., & Dechert, H. W. (Eds.).(1991). A case for psycholinguistics cases. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Appel, G. (1984). Improving second language producation. In H. W. Dechert, Moehle, D., & M. Raupach (Eds.), Second language productions (pp. 186-210). Tuebingen: Gunter Narr.
- Appel, G., & Goldberg, M. (1984). Referential choice in second language narrative production. In H. W. Dechert, D. Moehle & M. Raupach (Eds.), Second language productions (pp. 138-155). Tuebingen: Gunter Narr.